Androgenic Alopecia (AGA) also known as male and female pattern baldness is the most common cause of hair loss in the world today. It can affect up to 50% of Caucasian males. AGA has a number of causes and is widely agreed to be multifactorial with hereditary, environmental, dietary & hormonal influences. Effectively, hair follicle growth cycles reduce in time and the hair produced within these cycles becomes shorter and thinner. Over time, the follicle becomes completely inactive within the scalp.
CALECIM® Advanced Hair System is a novel cosmetic product formulated from proteins and exosomes naturally secreted by Umbilical Cord Lining Stem Cells. The aim of this study is to review whether these proteins are able to stimulate improved hair growth from underactive or dormant hair follicles in males suffering from AGA.
A total of 6 male and 3 female patients with AGA graded 3-4 on the Norwood scale of hair loss were selected. All participants were screened for vitamin deficiencies, iron deficiency and thyroid function. Patients with abnormal results were excluded from the study. Smokers were also excluded in the study.
Once patients were selected photographs were taken before the first treatment. Treatments were carried out weekly, with a total of 6 treatments performed. The second set of photos were taken on completion of the 6 weekly treatments.
All patients were advised to wash their hair, before attending for their treatment and avoid washing their hair or applying any hair products up to 48 hours, post procedure.
- For more precision and ease of infusion, we used “Hydra Roller”, a disposable Micro-needling & product infusion device, at the needle length of 0.25 and 0.5mm
- Scalp disinfection with 0.5% Chlorhexidine.
- 2.5ml of CALECIM® Advanced Hair System was applied and needled into the treatment area using a “Hydra Roller” or alternatively other needling designs with “Derma stamp” technique with 0.25-0.5mm length microneedles.
- An additional 2.5ml was applied following the needling technique and gently rubbed into the scalp.
- Patients were advised not to wash their hair following the treatment for at least 24 hours and possibly up to 48 hours.
- At Week 6, all patients had objective improvement in hair density and coverage over the CALECIM® treated area as assessed by the treating physician. All patients reported that they felt improvement in hair quality and coverage as well.
- Patients will receive 3 and 6 months follow up to review further progress.
CALECIM® Advanced Hair System applied by Hydraneedle to the scalp of male patients suffering from Norwood Scale 3-4 Androgenic Alopecia appeared to improve hair quality and quantity.
All Patients underwent 6x weekly treatments of CALECIM® Professional Advanced Hair System